Unmissable Wedding Trends for 2023 – What Every Smart Couple Needs to Know
You’ve come to the right place if you’re looking for inspiration for your 2023/24 summer wedding. Our favourite 2023/24 wedding trends cover everything from fashion to food to flowers.
We chat with industry insiders and our team, who walks + talks weddings every day for the inside scope. Which trends do you see taking on for your wedding day styling?
Maximalism Weddings – Go Big!
Let’s start big with maximalism for weddings. A maximalist wedding is all about luxurious, over-the-top details that make it a memorable and indulgent experience for the couple and their guests.
Unlike the “less is more” design approach, maximalist weddings embrace doing more, more, more! Lots of colours, lots of patterns, and lots of textures! This could be just used for the reception space or the ceremony to differentiate the two spaces – or it could be the overall theme of the wedding day.
After several years of smaller, lower-key weddings held under social distancing guidelines, experts expect couples to lean away from understated weddings and move toward big-impact moments from their tents to their tabletop; maximalism is back! Think bold, beautiful linens, pattern play throughout design details, and layered tabletops.
We anticipate aesthetic statements made with florals. Flowers will not just be placed in venues; they will be part of an overall design to transform a space into an experience. Think a layered look with hanging florals that connect the outside nature to the inside, giving a sense of being amongst nature.
The over-styled look is well and truly out the back door; it’s all about colourful nature-inspired, just as Mother Nature loves it.
If you’re planning your wedding and thinking about wearing a colourful wedding dress, I’m here to tell you it’s a fantastic idea!
We saw so many brides rocking colourful gowns in 2022, and we expect to see this even more in 2023 weddings. A colourful wedding dress is such a fun and unique way to add some personality and flair to your big day, and there are so many amazing options out there to choose from.
A renewed interest in maximalist aesthetics will also extend to couples’ colour choices. Couples are not just leaning into pops of colours—they are leaning into full-on colourful weddings. From colour-blocked weddings to colourful ceremonies and wardrobes, couples will incorporate more colour, and less beige, black and white.”
Lots of patterns and textures that complement each other will adorn table settings throughout the setups in the ceremony and reception.
We will see this in linens, florals, china and especially glassware with beautiful patterns.
It’s time to make a statement with colour throughout your wedding day set-up.
We called sustainability a trend to watch in 2021, and we could not be happier to see it moving from a trend to a staple!
So what’s different about 2023?
Sustainable weddings are becoming more and more attainable across the board. We are no longer talking about biodegradable cutlery; the big players, from wedding dresses to engagement rings, are stepping up to the plate. It’s easier for everyone to make sustainable choices — good news for all of us!
What are some tips for having a sustainable wedding?
- Choose an environmentally friendly venue. Look for venues with green initiatives, like solar panels or water conservation efforts.
- Go with a plant-based menu. Plant-based food has a smaller environmental footprint than meat-based options, which is a great way to reduce your carbon footprint.
- Use eco-friendly decor. Look for decor made from sustainable materials, like bamboo or recycled paper, and consider using potted plants or flowers instead of cut ones to reduce waste.
- Plant a tree or three. What better way to mark your love story wedding day than by planting a tree in the area? This will have you coming back year after year to your spot and enjoying knowing you have created a special location to be enjoyed for generations to come.
- Choose eco-conscious vendors. Look for vendors committed to sustainability, like photographers who use digital cameras instead of film or bakers who use organic ingredients and florists committed to sustainable practices.
- Use eco-friendly invitations and stationery. Consider using recycled paper or digital invitations to reduce waste.
- Encourage guests to carpool or use public transportation. This will reduce your carbon footprint and help the environment.
- Consider donating to an environmental charity in lieu of favours. This is a great way to give back and make your wedding more meaningful.
- Pick your wedding dress from a growing selection of sustainable wedding dresses.
It’s the 1970’s, baby
And, lastly, get ready for a throwback vibe. Bring back the 1970s: the fashion, the music, and especially the disco balls! And for the really adventurous, what about roller skating up the aisle? From the ceremony to the dance party, it’s time to shine bright throughout the big day.
The bottom line is your styling should be about creating a day that’s perfectly you—and that doesn’t feel like every other wedding your guests have attended in the last 12 months.
Take the trends or don’t, but importantly, make sure you authentically create a day about your love story.
Happy days x